On January 21, 1994, in time for Ramadan of 1414 Hijri, Masjid Omar formally opened its doors. This was the culmination of over fifteen years of work by hundreds of volunteers to establish the first place of worship ,in Los Angeles, designed and built as a masjid. The land for Masjid Omar was bequeathed in 1977 (1398 Hijri) by a mother, who fell ill and passed away, while visiting her children who were studying at the University of Southern California. Her donation was followed in turn by donations from untold numbers of benefactors to build the Masjid on the land. The Masjid, which is part of the Omar Ibn Al Khattab Foundation, is a symbol of the emergence of Islam as a major mainstream religion in Los Angeles.